Skilling the Bay is supportive of initiatives that prepare the region’s workforce for the jobs of the future. This includes the region’s young people with good ideas and aspirations for future business ventures. Innovative thinking is a great skill to have, but it’s not the standard curriculum at secondary school and it’s something that is best taught by doing. Upstart fills this gap – something that no-one else is doing with this age group locally.
The ones that persist no matter what, back themselves, and see setbacks as learning opportunities rather than failures.
- While there have been many successful ‘Big Ideas’ we see huge value in the positive influence on participant’s personal development, self-esteem, and confidence.
- We like hearing the pitches – and the creative ways the ideas are articulated
We want to continue to support great programs – and provide opportunities for new programs to grow and develop in the region.
- Apart from the points already made about the program we say
it is a unique program that young people really enjoy.
- It is professionally managed by a small dedicated team who understand young people, schools, government and the business community. They use this knowledge to make great connections that will benefit the program.
- It provides the opportunity for young people to develop a broad range of skills in a supportive, safe and fun environment. It’s not limited to ‘innovation / entrepreneurial thinking’, but includes all those ‘soft skills’ that are so important in everyday life (team work, effective communication and presentation, networking)
- The Upstart team are a talented lot – they are great facilitators and know how to genuinely engage with young people.
- There are a lot of clever young people in the region and a lot of clever business people and mentors who are willing to support them. Connecting these groups of people provides great opportunities and potential for growth on many levels.